Re: Would like to contribute and get selected in GSoC in New Contributor Wizard project

Reply In Between

On 2/16/19 11:38 PM, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019, Shashank wrote:
>> Hello Manas ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ On Friday, February 15,
>> 2019 5:03 PM, Manas Kashyap <manaskashyaptech@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hola Mentors, I am Manas Kashyap an undergrad at Amity University
>>> and i am applying for GSOC this year and would like to be selected
>>> under Debian in the project of New Contributor Wizard for Debian . I
>>> have a past history of packaging and i know a little amount of
>>> packaging and has been working with packages for more than a year.
>>> So, i would be really grateful if you all can mentor me for this
>>> project. I am working on the application tasks and will respond once
>>> it's completed. Thanking you Manas Kashyap
>>> [https://manas-kashyap.github.io ](https://manas-kashyap.github.io/)
>>> [https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=manaskashyaptech@gmail.com
>>> ](https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=manaskashyaptech@gmail.com)
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/ManasKashyap
>> Thank you for showing interest for the project and I hope you'll
>> stick around as we wait for the confirmation from Google about
>> Debian's participation as Molly stated. Till them feel free to go
>> through all the details necessary for the program[0] and also about
>> New Contributor Wizard as described on this wiki page[1]. Thank you.
>> [0] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2019 [1]
>> https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2019/Projects#SummerOfCode2019.2FProjects.2FNewContributorWizard.New_Contributor_Wizard
> I am by now not sure if that project is in line with the actual rules.
> The mentor is not a DD and I am not sure where it is directly Debian
> related. Thats just a not from me, we will review the projects later.
Hey Alexander thanks for checking out the project and raising the issue
for mentor not being a DD.

I just want to mention here that this particular project idea was there
last year as well.

https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2018/
And the current proposed mentor for it was a student for it last year.
His motive behind proposing this project idea is to finish stuff
remaining with his idea and get it packaged & deployed for Debian.

Although the mentor is not a DD, he is certainly a contributor as he
worked on it last year.
So at least in my observation the mentor is already a contributor to
Debian, which qualifies for him to be a mentor or to list his idea this
year.

> Alex

rajudev