Re: Backporting Libreoffice to Ubuntu Precise

Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 04:45:31PM +0100, Daniel Dehennin wrote:
>> I looked at the alioth ubuntu-saucy-4.1 branch to understand how things
>> are done.
>
> And why are you asking here, then? :)
> This is Debian, not Ubuntu.
>
> If you were building on wheezy/from the Debian branch, maybe, but...

I may was confused by the Ubuntu branches in the Debian git repository ;-)

I'll give a try to the PPA sources[1] to see what's the differences with
Debian branches.

>> My first idea was to add a “Distro-specific overrides” in the same way
>> there is a “WHEEZY_BACKPORT”:
>>
>>     ifneq "$(shell dpkg-parsechangelog | awk '/^Distribution/ { print $$2 }')" "precise"
>>       BUGS=mailto:eole@ac-dijon.fr
>>       000_ARCHS=amd64
>
> Unneeded. It's set by dpkg (unless Ubuntu broke it), regardless of whether you want to build
> for more or just amd64 that line is severly wrong.

We will build only for AMD64, but I made some tests to see what got
changes by the $(PRECISE_BACKPORT)

>>       SYSTEM_STUFF := $(filter-out libcmis libcdr clucene libmspub libmwaw libodfgen mdds liblangtag orcus harfbuzz libwpd libwps libwpg redland, $(SYSTEM_STUFF))
>>       PRECISE_BACKPORT=y
>>     endif
>>
>> I added some “ifeq "$(PRECISE_BACKPORT)" "y"/endif” to generate a
>> correct debian/control but I'm stuck with some undefined
>> "$(PRECISE_BACKPORT)", resulting in incorrect dependencies in the
>
> for example?

One example is for GSTREAMER:

    USE_GSTREAMER=y
    ifeq "$(WHEEZY_BACKPORT)" "y"
      GSTREAMER_VERSION=0.10
    else
      ifeq "$(PRECISE_BACKPORT)" "y"
        GSTREAMER_VERSION=0.10
      else
        GSTREAMER_VERSION=1.0
      endif
    endif

>> generated debian/control.
>
> I assume precise is correct in debian/changelog.

Yes, I made that mistake at my first try.

>> After a day of looking how things works, I wonder if there is any
>> best-practices to make a backport package?
>
> I've also noticed some ifeqs not working, for wheezy-backports I added # hacks then...

I'm not a Makefile expert, but I think there is some issues with the two
flavours of variables[2].

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/libreoffice-4-1