Re: FreeType 2.1.2's cmap detection broken?

Hello David and all,

About a month ago, a user/developer reported here that opens___.ttf
could no longer be displayed in OpenOffice.org.  Since then, there have
been similar reports by different Debian users reporting problems since
the upgrade from libfreetype6-2.0.9 to 2.1.x.  And then yesterday
Guillermo Perez noticed that ftdump1 shows more cmaps than ftdump2
does.

With that, it appears that a real bug may have crept in between 2.0.9
and 2.1.0+.  With opens___.ttf font, ftdump from FreeType pre-1.4 reports:

	encoding  0: Apple Unicode
	encoding  1: Apple Roman
	encoding  2: Windows Unicode

ftdump from FreeType 2.0.9 reports:

	charmaps
	   0: platform: 0, encoding: 0
	   1: platform: 1, encoding: 0
	   2: platform: 3, encoding: 1

fonttools reports:

    <cmap_format_4 platformID="0" platEncID="0" version="0">
    <cmap_format_6 platformID="1" platEncID="0" version="0">
    <cmap_format_4 platformID="3" platEncID="1" version="0">

ftdump from FreeType 2.1.2 (with CVS as of 2002-08-06) reports:

	charmaps
	   0: platform: 1, encoding: 0   <--- Only one left!?!

Apparently, this is the cause of a recent font display problem for
e.g. some OpenOffice.org and pango users.
http://www.usta.de/RefAk/Aussen/almonte.ttf is another font that triggers
the symptom.

For more information, please check:

    freetype regression: some ttf fonts don't display anymore
        http://bugs.debian.org/150678

    some fonts are not rendered because their enconding are not well detected
	http://bugs.debian.org/155864

Many thanks,

Anthony