Re: Problems with version 1.03 [REPEAT]

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 06:57:30PM -0700, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> Wasn't subscribed when I sent this, so not sure it hit the list..

It did, and Jan sent you a brief reply.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-openoffice is your friend.

> Has anyone seen these issues?

Not directly

> And does anyone know when an update to oo for
> stable is scheduled again?

Stable what?  OOo or Debian?

> We still can't save a lot of files to excel97
> format, and edtting existing excle97 docs, and hitting save causes crashes..

We have limited time to deal with bugreports ourselves and there is a long
queue of issues to be looked at already.  Items which we cannot reproduce
easily ourselves, especially if they appear to be upstream issues, tend to
take a while and just sit until someone gets round to an intensive bug
hunting session.

However, there are several things that can be done to help speed up the
process.  It is important to determine if the problem is specific to the
Debian packages or not.  If it is a general upstream problem (and >90%
generally are upstream problems), a bug report can be filed in the upstream
database (if there is not one already there), where it is more likely to be
looked at by someone who knows the code.  With 70,000+ source files in OOo
alone, the Debian team is simply not equiped to deal with all bugreports
ourselves.

You can determine whether the problem is specific to our packages by trying
to reproduce on an installation from an official .tar.gz binary.  If the
behviour of the Debian packages is different to the official version, we
need to know this and details of how to reproduce it.  I would guess that
the file import/export problems are not Debian-specific and the upgrade
problem is specific to Debian, because upstream does not support upgrading
at all and so we implemented it in our scripts:

> We had a little problem similar to this upgrading to 1.0.2, but solved it for
> those users by deleting the ~/.openoffice/1.0.1 directory, and rerunning
> setup for them,

This is probably due to a problem in our upgrade script.  We need detailed
information how to reproduce this, and it would help if you would look at
the configuration files yourself and try to find which differences cause the
problem.

> but this seems to be different..

> Several issues arose when upgrading open office.  We found that anyone with an
> old configuration in .openoffice/1.0.2 couldn't save in Word97 format anymore
> without crashing, and even after removing 1.0.2 directory, and rerunning
> setup, which creates the 1.0.3 directory, we still have problems saving some
> files in Word97 format, and if we open excel97 documents, and change the
> contents of a cell and save again, we get a crash.  We are forced to
> downgrade to 1.0.2 to be able to use the excel97 docs again.

This is probably an issue that has already been filed and possibly fixed
upstream.  It would help if you could find out what has been said about this
already in IssueZilla.

Chris