Re: [Caml-list] binary compatibility of 3.08.3

On Jan 16, 2005, at 14:37, Sven Luther wrote:

Also, we are hoping to release soon, and the debian release manager will assuredly not wait for ocaml stuff to rebuild if it is the only thing missing.
The release delay have hurt enough as it is.
[...]
Just forgetting about the fix and include it in the next version of sarge is
the only sane possibility then.

I don't see it as a big problem if you are lagging by one bugfix version.
The differences are small anyway, and it's not like 3.08.2 is horribly
broken.

Anyway, it would be nice if the breakage would at least be announced in the release documentation. Especially if it doesn't touch all the modules and
libraries, as was the case for 3.08.2.

I would have announced it if I had known about it. From now on, I will put a reminder about binary compatibility in the release notes for each bugfix
release.

That said, such behavior is a major drawback for using
ocaml in real projects, i believe.

I'd say it's a drawback of blind upgrading, which nobody does in a
real project anyway.

-- Damien