Debian Weekly News - May 6th, 2001

Debian Weekly News
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2001/10/
Debian Weekly News - May 6th, 2001

Welcome to Debian Weekly News, a newsletter for the Debian community.

First - a new editor team for DWN. Joey Hess was tired, but a couple
of people thought it would be a shame if DWN were to die, so we asked
if we might take over, and he let us. The lucky ones are
[1]Jean-Christophe Helary, [2]Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier and [3]Tollef
Fog Heen. Joey wants to thank the hundreds of people who sent in mails
of encouragement and thanks, and wishes the new DWN staff well.

Since the last issue, [4]2.2r3 is out. It fixes quite a few security
and release critical bugs: an ntp root exploit, and samba symlink
problems are among those. Some of the security updates were
incorrectly built on an unstable system, which caused some confusion.
This is fixed now.

The boot floppies are coming along, albeit slowly. There have been
some troubles relating to slang and utf8, but those should be
[5]mostly worked out now. The boot-floppies have been translated into
[6]Danish, and we have a Gaelic translation underway. Also, if we are
to release Woody this year, [7]the boot-floppies need much more help.

Ben Collins has already begun his work as Project Leader. So far, he
is [8]beefing up the technical committee, and both Bdale Garbee and
Wichert Akkerman have been added to it.

On debian-devel, it has been a very busy week with long and heated
discussions about whether [9]ALL: PARANOID is a good setting to have
in /etc/hosts.deny. Also there has been some discussion related to
chroot'ing BIND. The biggest discussion is still
[10]'kernel-{image,headers} package bloat' where Herbert Xu, Craig
Sanders and Daniel Stone (and some other people) are flaming each
other. Don't enter without your asbestos suit.

To CSS or not to CSS. Should packages like [11]xine-dvd-css go into
main? None of the ftp-masters want to be the one responsible for
putting it in, so what will happen is still open to discussion (and
legal advice). Related to this is the continuous
crypto-in-main-discussion. Hopefully, this will be resolved with a
little lawyer's help.

[12]dpkg 1.9 is out. It fixes a lot of segfaults and adds support for
signed packages. Also, it has new features, speedups, updated
translations, fixes for Hurd, HPPA, IA64 and SH. There are already a
couple of bugfix releases available, which fix some of the new and
exciting bugs.
Some of the new packages which have made it into Debian this week are:
[13]coocoon2, [14]thttpd, [15]nvclock and [16]task-harden

[17]Feedback is always appreciated