AM Report for Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com>

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Scott
   Last name:       Howard
   Key fingerprint: 9A57 344C 54D3 C861 0A5F  22FC BAA5 69D0 CBF1 2A6A
   Account:         showard
   Forward email:   showard314@gmail.com

   ID check passed, key signed by 1 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:

pub   1024D/CBF12A6A 2008-08-18
      Key fingerprint = 9A57 344C 54D3 C861 0A5F  22FC BAA5 69D0 CBF1 2A6A
uid                  Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com>
sig!         C34AA484 2009-11-04  Benjamin Seidenberg <benjamin@debian.org>
sig!3        CBF12A6A 2008-08-18  Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com>
sig!3        CBF12A6A 2009-10-20  Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com>
uid                  Scott Howard <showard314@ubuntu.com>
sig!3        CBF12A6A 2010-07-13  Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com>
sig!3        CBF12A6A 2010-03-09  Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com>
uid                  Scott Howard <showard@src.gnome.org>
sig!         C34AA484 2009-11-04  Benjamin Seidenberg <benjamin@debian.org>
sig!3        CBF12A6A 2009-10-20  Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com>
sub   2048g/1105A920 2008-08-18
sig!         CBF12A6A 2008-08-18  Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com>

5 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.

Key has only 1024 bits.  This is not acceptable if the application
was started after October 1st, 2010 (see [KM] for details).
[KM] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/09/msg00003.html
This is an DSA key.  This might need an explanation (see [KM] for details).
[KM] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/09/msg00003.html

Valid "e" flag, no expiration.
Valid "s" flag, no expiration.

Note:

    The NM process started before October and the 1024D key is already
in the DM keyring so that should be fine.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

I started using Debian in 2004 when my research group at grad school
wanted to set up a file server. I read through all the how tos and
manuals, and set up a simple samba server on Debian, which I eventually
made into a LAMP for the group. I started from zero knowledge and read
man pages, and some sites to get it working. I then installed Debian as
a dual boot on my laptop to see what it was like, and replaced Debian
with xubuntu on the laptop a few years later (I'm writing this email on
that laptop, looking at a "Made for Windows 98" sticker!) I maintained
the Debian server for ~5 years, learning ins and outs of server
administration, and went on to install Ubuntu on my desktop machine. I
wanted to give back to the community, so I started volunteering with bug
triage in Ubuntu's gnome-power-manager pacakge over a year ago. There I
learned the basics of package management, but I mostly was debugging
gnome's c-code. I fixed a dozen or so crasher bugs and triaged several
hundred bugs in ubuntu [0], which earned me upload rights to gnome
(showard@src.gnome.org) and "Contributing Developer" status in ubuntu
(showard314@ubuntu.com). I joined the Ubuntu Science team and because
maintianing those packages. While keeping those ~600 packages up to date
in Debian, I forwarded many patches up to the BTS and worked hard
keeping those two distros in sync. By this time I was more proficient in
packaging, and saw that (in my opinion) the bulk of the "real important"
packaging work was going on in Debian. I then started working more in
debian package maintenance. I adopted a package that I use frequently at
work ("eagle") and added a new package which is designed to introduce
kids to open source game design development ("sandboxgamemaker"). [That
package will probably come up in the "philosophy" section of the NM
process, I've been prodding them to make their content DFSG over the
past year with good success]. I've adopted some other packages that were
orphaned and quite buggy to help out the science and java teams, but the
most recent package (that I'm most excited about) is "Arduino." Arduino
is an open-*hardware* physical computer platform where everything from
circuit/pcb board layout, compilers, programmers, and IDE are open
source.  I worked with an Ubuntu team (which had not interested in
release management in Debian) to get the package is top shape for
Debian.  Since I uploaded it to unstable less than a month ago, the
pop-con has shown high level of usage for the package [1], and I've
received a few thank you notes from users. I have Debian and Ubuntu
machines, each of which has a VM for the other on it (for when I get
lazy and don't want to boot the other up for something).

[0]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScottHoward/ContributingDeveloperApplication
[1]http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=arduino

My primary goal in Debian is to make it the best OS/distro for
scientific and engineering computing work. It already is phenomenal, so
I'd like to help out the team in keeping it working and finding the
newest/hottest packages. Secondarily, I'd like to see more widespread
use of Linux in general, at the minimum make it a force in the market
that causes the Microsoft/Apple OSes to make their products better for
users. To gain wider acceptance, I think that desktop experience (and
things like games) are extremely important, which is why I also help out
the Ubuntu and games projects where I can.

As a higher level professional sketch: I'm an academic researcher in
applied physics working on developing medical imaging technology. I was
recently hired as an assistant professor of Electrical Engineering, and
will be starting next summer. BS, MA, PhD in Electrical Engineering.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Scott has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   He also has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian
   and is maintainer of arduino, qcad, rxtx which he takes care of as a
   Debian Maintainer already.
   All packages are in good shape.
   He also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches for RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept Scott Howard as a Debian Developer.