AM report for Kåre Thor Olsen

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Kåre
   Middle name:     Thor
   Last name:       Olsen
   Key fingerprint: 5E5C4B0E1AFD7325CF66500F962680C5305A9418
   Account:         kaare
   Forward email:   kaare@nightcall.dk

   ID check passed, key signed by 1 existing developer:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
   pub   4096R/305A9418 2010-07-20
         Key fingerprint = 5E5C 4B0E 1AFD 7325 CF66  500F 9626 80C5 305A 9418
   uid                  Kåre Thor Olsen <kaare@nightcall.dk>
   sig!         FE63E8A1 2010-12-04  Jens Peter Secher <jpsecher@gmail.com>
   sig!3        305A9418 2010-07-20  Kåre Thor Olsen <kaare@nightcall.dk>
   sub   4096R/A46DD02D 2010-07-20
   sig!         305A9418 2010-07-20  Kåre Thor Olsen <kaare@nightcall.dk>

   2 signatures not checked due to missing keys
   Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
   Key has 4096 bits.
   Valid "e" flag, no expiration.
   Valid "s" flag, no expiration.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

   Computers have been one of my primary interests ever since I took a
   computer course in my after school classes in the early 1980s. This
   put me on the path to become a systems developer by profession,
   where I have migrated from mainframes over Windows to web
   development. However, I prefer to do different tasks in my hobby
   activities, hence my application as a non-uploading DD.

   I learned about GNU/Linux distributions and free software thanks to
   my participation in the discussion groups in FidoNet.  A friend
   guided me through my first GNU/Linux distribution installation, and
   the following couple of years I experimented with several GNU/Linux
   distributions. In the end I settled on Debian as my distribution of
   choice, around the time of the release of "potato", due to the
   Debian project being similar to a grassroots movement and the
   philosophy of the social contract.

   During the process of getting to know my Debian installation and
   the project behind it, I went to the website for information.
   There I noticed that the number of web pages translated to Danish
   were limited, and that some of them were outdated.

   In April 2001 I offered to help out the Danish translator of the
   web pages, and to my surprise I shortly afterwards found myself
   being the new maintainer of the pages.  I accepted the task
   because, in the spirit of the social contract, I wanted to give
   something back to the project.

   Besides translating a good deal of the web pages, I'm also active
   in other parts of the web team, including trying to fix broken
   English, HTML and wml, and replying to list mail.  Since 2003 I've
   been the most active maintainer of the "Who's Using Debian" pages.

   In the years 2003-2005, I translated and reviewed translations of
   debconf package descriptions, but retired from that work because I
   didn't use the translations myself.

   I'd like to continue my work in the web team.  Abilities and time
   permitting, perhaps also taking part in the running of the web site
   itself.

2a. Advocate writes
   From: Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@debian.org>

   Kaare is an extremely long standing danish translator of the
   website. I'm not even sure wether he was already working on the
   website when I joined Debian, or wether he came shortly after me,
   and I've been with Debian since over ten years now. His dedication
   is really outstanding, and I really would wish more people to have
   the energy for that long of a time.

   I can't really comment on the quality of his translation work given
   that I don't speak danish, but I don't recall any complaints, not
   really even typo mails that come along every now and then for other
   languages. I *can* though comment on a different aspect of his
   work: He does translation work like I would expect it from more
   people - he does proofread the english files and correct things he
   find in there along the path, too. I really would hope to see this
   more often.

   Besides that, he also took up the work of processing the "Who's
   using Debian?" mails on debian-www that for a longer time noone
   really was looking after. He's the kind of person that does things
   because they need to get done, not because they get you much
   prestige or recognition.

   From: Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>

   While I didn't had the pleasure to work with Kåre as close as
   Gerfried did, I can only underline, that I completely agree with
   his high opinion of Kåre.  When I had contact with him (mostly when
   I needed an urgent translation of a News-Item) he has always been
   very helpful and did an astonishing work not only translating stuff
   but also reviewing and correcting my English.

   From what I have seen, he is a qualified and dedicated long term
   contributor, who surely deserves to finally be an official Debian
   Developer.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Kåre has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract, DFSG, BTS,
   etc. in a good way. Kåre committed to uphold the SC and DFSG in his
   Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Kåre is applying as a non-uploading DD, hence we were focussing on
   his translation and web site work.

   Kåre is a very long-term translator of the Debian web pages. He has
   been maintaining the Danish translation for almost 10 years,
   including recurring content like security advisories. He also took
   over the "who is using Debian" pages [1] several years ago.

   Danish is one of the web translations with the best coverage,
   topped only by French, German, and Swedish. [2]

   [1] http://www.debian.org/users/
   [2] http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/

   I recommend to accept Kåre as a Debian Developer.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/