Re: Advocating Frédéric-emmanuel Picca <picca@synchrotron-soleil.fr>

On 06/15/2010 09:38 PM, NM Front Desk wrote:
> Auth-Key: nmauth10301c9b7679931db6314e94da3fe0d0
> Applicant: Frédéric-emmanuel Picca <picca@synchrotron-soleil.fr>
>
> Why do you advocate this person? (please provide a 5-10 line summary).

FEP is a DM already and recently did a very good job on a package close
to his scientific professional life at a synchrotron in France that I
was sponsoring for him. He certainly has the technical skills to become
a DD. Strategically nicely he would extend Debian's debian-med,
debian-science and debichem teams towards what is beneath structural
biology. Socially he is very pleasant to communicate with, he even
did me the favour to inject my qtdmm package into debian science,
which I with my git love-hate relationship was avoiding to address for
the last few years and we had a couple of constructive emails exchanged
beyond Debian.

For my little viewpoint on Debian it is very important to have
many individuals in academic environments since they are often early
adaptors and feedback-givers of new packages (science is not production)
and they have a world-wide network of mentally mostly synchronised
people independent from Debian's web of trust, so they can spread
the word of Debian Policy through those extra channels.

Ah, right, what I wanted to say is that you please start
the AM process on him.

Best,

Steffen