Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian-ba.org>

Hello,

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Tiago
   Last name:       Bortoletto Vaz
   Key fingerprint: 1024D/A504FECA C426 23B7 60FA 5999 693F  0782 690D 6214 A504 FECA
   Account:         tiago

   ID check passed, key signed by several existing developers.

   Output from keycheck.sh:

   Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
   Receiving and checking key
   gpg: requesting key A504FECA from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
   pub   1024D/A504FECA 2006-03-19
         Key fingerprint = C426 23B7 60FA 5999 693F  0782 690D 6214 A504 FECA
   uid                  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz (SaferNet Brasil) <tiagovaz@safernet.org.br>
   sig!3        A504FECA 2007-01-09  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz (SaferNet Brasil) <tiagovaz@safernet.org.br>
   uid                  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiagovaz@gmail.com>
   sig!         49A5F855 2006-03-31  Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br>
   sig-         49A5F855 2006-03-31  Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br>
   sig!         8BB527AF 2006-05-31  Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org>
   sig!         1880283C 2006-06-10  Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal@debian.org>
   sig!         4E2ECA5A 2006-12-26  Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>
   sig!         C5E95333 2008-02-20  Faidon Liambotis <paravoid@debian.org>
   sig!2        5706A4B4 2006-05-21  Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de>
   sig!3        A504FECA 2006-03-19  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz (SaferNet Brasil) <tiagovaz@safernet.org.br>
   uid                  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian-ba.org>
   sig!         49A5F855 2006-03-31  Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br>
   sig!         4B729625 2006-05-20  Peter Van Eynde <pvaneynd@debian.org>
   sig!         29499F61 2006-05-20  Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org>
   sig!         6B79D401 2006-05-20  Giunchedi Filippo <filippo@esaurito.net>
   sig!         0ED704EA 2006-05-20  Mohammed Adnène Trojette (adn) <adn@arabeyes.org>
   sig!         9B7C328D 2006-05-20  Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>
   sig!         005C3B82 2006-05-20  Jose Parrella <bureado@debian.org>
   sig!         C671257D 2006-05-20  David Moreno <david@axiombox.com>
   sig!         6FECCDE0 2006-05-20  Santiago Ruano Rincón <santiago@unicauca.edu.co>
   sig!         306CDFF3 2006-05-20  Alejandro Rios P. <alerios@debian.org>
   sig!         EA59038E 2006-05-20  Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>
   sig!         D54F0847 2006-05-20  Mark Shuttleworth <mark@ubuntu.com>
   sig!         330C4A75 2006-05-20  Martin F. Krafft <mail@martin-krafft.net>
   sig!         4BA401C3 2006-05-20  Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <agi@inittab.org>
   sig!         307D56ED 2006-05-21  Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
   sig!         258D8781 2006-05-21  Michael Bramer <michael.bramer@credativ.de>
   sig!         6E8169D2 2006-05-21  Raphael Hertzog <raphael@ouaza.com>
   sig!         F1BCDB73 2006-05-21  Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
   sig!         575D0A76 2006-05-21  Martín Ferrari <tincho@debian.org>
   sig!         C0143D2D 2006-05-21  Christian Perrier <bubulle@kheops.homeunix.org>
   sig!         B345BDD3 2006-05-22  Neil McGovern <maulkin@halon.org.uk>
   sig!         90E5CA46 2006-05-22  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@debian.org>
   sig!         71473F66 2006-05-22  Todd Troxell <ttroxell@debian.org>
   sig!         ADC9BC28 2006-05-23  Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com>
   sig!         16D970C6 2006-05-28  Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org>
   sig!         808D0FD0 2006-05-29  Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
   sig!         8BB527AF 2006-05-31  Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org>
   sig!         DD9B9910 2006-06-01  Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
   sig!         58510B5A 2006-06-01  Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>
   sig!         E8C43461 2006-06-03  Ana Beatriz Guerrero López <ana@ekaia.org>
   sig!         72D03CB1 2006-06-03  Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org>
   sig!         1880283C 2006-06-10  Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal@debian.org>
   sig!         CAEAAF03 2006-06-19  Riku Voipio <Riku.Voipio@iki.fi>
   sig!         1E880A84 2006-06-19  Frans Pop (Debian) <elendil@planet.nl>
   sig!         4E2ECA5A 2006-12-26  Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>
   sig!2        5706A4B4 2006-05-21  Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de>
   sig!3        A504FECA 2006-03-19  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz (SaferNet Brasil) <tiagovaz@safernet.org.br>
   uid                  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz (SaferNet Brasil) <tiago@safernet.org.br>
   sig!         4E2ECA5A 2006-12-26  Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>
   sig!3        A504FECA 2006-11-23  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz (SaferNet Brasil) <tiagovaz@safernet.org.br>
   uid                  [jpeg image of size 4959]
   sig!         C5E95333 2008-02-20  Faidon Liambotis <paravoid@debian.org>
   sig!3        A504FECA 2007-01-10  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz (SaferNet Brasil) <tiagovaz@safernet.org.br>
   sub   2048g/CAFC4CE4 2006-03-19
   sig!         A504FECA 2006-03-19  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz (SaferNet Brasil) <tiagovaz@safernet.org.br>
   1 bad signature
   17 signatures not checked due to missing keys

   Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.  Good!
   Check for key expire stuff
   Valid "e" flag on key 0x690D6214A504FECA, no expiration
   Valid "s" flag on key 0x690D6214A504FECA, no expiration

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

   I'm Tiago Bortoletto Vaz, born in November 1979 in Salvador, Bahia, northeast
   of Brazil. In 1999 I started studying Computer Science at the Federal
   University of Bahia (UFBA)[0], where I had my first contact with GNU/Linux
   systems. Most part of my student life I volunteered as sysadmin for the
   Mathematics Institute of UFBA. At that time we had only two labs available for
   CS, Maths and Statistics students, both equipped with 486 machines and Windows
   NT (tm) system.

   [0] http://www.ufba.br

   One day someone stole all the hard drives from these machines so the labs had
   to be closed. The lack of resources gave us a big challenge, which also gave us
   the opportunity to introduce the free software power to the University. After
   some research and several hacks we were able to give back to students the labs
   running a creative solution based on Debian Potato, LTSP and IceWM[1]. It was
   the beginning of a free software revolution in the University, which has formed
   nice hackers activists since then.

   [1] http://wiki.dcc.ufba.br/GAVRI/LTSP

   During my years at the University I could understand the power of software
   freedom and open standards. I started understanding the GNU philosophy and
   looking for a GNU/Linux or BSD distribution which could provide me freedom and
   a good quality without any commercial interest behind. I got very impressed
   with the high quality standards of FreeBSD and Debian, mainly because of the
   ports and APT systems. However, by reading the Debian Social Contract I became
   convinced that Debian was the kind of project which would offer me the reason
   to keep myself excited about working with computers.

   In 2004 I joined a huge social inclusion project of the Science and Technology
   Council for the State of Bahia[2], leading the IT team. We built 300 public
   Internet centers running a Debian based solution for marginalized communities
   around the State. This work lasted 2 years and became the subject of my
   undergraduate research project[3].

   [2] http://www.identidadedigital.ba.gov.br
   [3] http://br.gnome.org/EconomiaSolidaria/BerimbauLivre

   The year I got really involved in Debian was 2004, mainly after attending
   Debconf4, which was held in Porto Alegre, Brazil. My first experience as a
   Debian contributor was translating debconf pot files. As it happened before the
   pseudo-urls infrastructure, many of them have been overwritten by other
   translators and debian-l10n-brazilian team. Some occurrences can still be found
   by searching for "Last-Translator: Tiago Bortoletto Vaz" on the Internet. Still
   in 2004 I translated the beautiful apt-howto to portuguese and started
   maintaining packages in Debian. My first one was ewiki, which I asked for
   removal in 2007[4]. Currently I (co-)maintain 14 packages and there is one in
   the new queue and one ITP waiting for sponsor[5]. Most of them are sponsored by
   Otavio Salvador, to whom I'm really thankful for being a great technical mentor
   and my main reference regarding social behavior in free software communities.

   [5] http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=tiago%40debian-ba.org

   Talking about jobs again, I can say I'm happy for having the chance of working
   with free software for helping minorities. My last professional activity was
   being the CIO of Safernet Brasil[6], a NGO which deals with crimes against human
   rights committed through the Internet. Safernet became very popular due to our
   stressful fight against the world's largest Internet company, which has
   insistently refused to obey the Brazilian laws regarding online distribution of
   hate crimes and child pornography contents[7]. By the way, we've won the
   battles up to now[8][9][10]; using, spreading and producing free software for
   all our tasks[11].

   [6] http://www.safernet.org.br
   [7] http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119273558149563775.html
   [8] http://www.safernet.org.br/site/noticias/google-brazil-unit-summoned-chat-room-complaint
   [9] http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/sip/docs/pub_consult_age_rating_sns/results/safernet_a533690.pdf
   [10] http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119136986121247087.html
   [11] http://redmine.safernet.org.br

   In 2008 I was invited by the Federal Senate to join the Parliamentary
   Investigative Committee (CPI) on Child Abuse. Worked for 8 months on
   investigations in partnership with a select group formed by Federal Police
   commissioners, prosecutors and senators. Since then I've been participating in
   the Brazilian taskforce in charge of proposing new policies and procedures
   related to the regulation of Internet activities in Brazil.

   Bringing back Debian to the subject, I've attended the Debian Conference since
   2004. I usually code during Debcamp, also give a hand to the video team and
   have fun with photo stuff. In 2006 I worked with Vagrant during Debconf and
   coded the i18n infrastructure for ltsp package. At Debconf8 I worked with
   Daniel Baumman on live-helper, when he unexpectedly asked me to join the NM
   process! :) In December 2008 I became DM being supported by three DDs.

   I'm not an upstream developer at all. However, since I've adopted apticron in
   2006[12] I've made a lot of improvements by myself and feel like its upstream
   nowadays (actually I'm very happy to know apticron usage has grown in a such
   way that it has even beating the legendary cowsay in popcon :))

   [12] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/apticron/current/changelog

   I'm pretty involved in local free software communities in Brazil. I've
   participated as organizer and/or speaker in several events such as the Free
   Software International Forum (FISL) and the Latin-American Free Software
   Conference (Latinoware). I'm also leading BrDesktop project, the former
   Debian-BR-CDD. BrDesktop is a Debian Pure Blend designed for Brazilian desktop
   users[13].

   [13] http://brdesktop.org

   BrDesktop, Live-helper, general packaging and voluteering for Debconf are my
   current tasks in Debian. For the near future I intend to get involved in
   multimedia stuff. I'm also very interested in the Pure Blend concept and
   in how to better integrate it to the Project. I'll definitely be very happy
   mentoring new people and sponsoring packages to Debian. I believe Debian is one
   of the most effective world-changing movement nowadays and I feel very glad for
   dedicating my time to it.

   I have a set of almost serious hobbies. Currently, the most active ones are
   photographing and playing the guitar. In fact I'm studying music to join a jazz
   performance bachelor's program soon.

   Google says:
   Activity in Debian since several years.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Tiago has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Tiago committed to uphold the SC and
   DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Tiago has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Tiago is the leader of the BrDesktop project, which is a Debian Pure
   Blend designed for Brazilian desktop users (http://brdesktop.org).
   He maintains the brdesktop packages, and also several other packages,
   fonts and icon themes.
   I have checked apticron, bbclone, blankon, the brdesktop* packages,
   dlg-new, epylog, gnome-extra-icons, manpages-pt and nuovo and they
   are all in good shape. Some of them are starting to show some age,
   but he is now taking care of it.
   Tiago also answered my other questions regarding T&S without
   problems. During the NM process I sponsored his NMU of Rails to fix
   #522009.

   I recommend to accept Tiago as a Debian Developer.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>