AM report for Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Mathieu
   Last name:       Parent
   Key fingerprint: F607 B30B 062E A443 D33C  70E0 396D A361 FE5F 1D7F
   Account:         sathieu
   Forward email:   math.parent@gmail.com

   ID check passed, key signed by 3 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
Receiving and checking key
gpg: requesting key FE5F1D7F from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
pub   1024D/FE5F1D7F 2008-01-30 [expires: 2010-01-29]
      Key fingerprint = F607 B30B 062E A443 D33C  70E0 396D A361 FE5F 1D7F
uid                  Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>
sig!         C0143D2D 2008-06-28  Christian Perrier <bubulle@kheops.homeunix.org>
sig!         AC5F700C 2009-01-30  Julien Cristau <julien.cristau@ens-lyon.org>
sig!         E0BA04C1 2009-02-01  Ralf Treinen <treinen@debian.org>
sig!3        FE5F1D7F 2008-01-30  Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>
sig!3        FE5F1D7F 2009-05-09  Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>
sub   2048g/600D538B 2008-01-30 [expires: 2010-01-29]
sig!         FE5F1D7F 2008-01-30  Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com>

1 signature not checked due to a missing key
Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has an expiration date of 2010-01-29.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:
1) Me
- -----

I'm born in 1982, in France. I like to travel, to bike, and music
(fast description ;)

2) GNU/Linux and free software: the beginning

I will go fast for pre-Linux period: My first computer was a Macintoch
LC-III (1994) and I was a mac fan. I acquired a PC in 1997-1998 (don't
remember exactly): Windows 98 and all those crash-ready softwares. I
began to use free software from the technical point of view: Mozilla
Suite.

I discovered free software philosophy by developing some PHP+MySQL web
applications, on Windows first then on GNU/Linux.

I began using Linux with SuSe Linux (2000) and rapidly Mandrake Linux
(now Mandriva) 8.0 in 2001.

3) Debian:
- ----------
I used mandrake until version 10.0 (2004) and tried then switched to
Debian sarge.

My involvement in Debian packaging has started in 2006 by
proposing a GIS package from a software I wrote: musmap (see
ITP344345).
I created and tested the package but the process stopped because I
didn't know about mentors and how uploading works.
Now I don't need this package to be uploaded in Debian (I don't use it
anymore and it is frozen since 2006).

More information can also be seen here:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-grass-general/2006-March/002023.html

Then I followed more often the Debian news but stopped packaging for
some time (I though I needed some knowledge about Debian internals).

4) CTDB (Samba):
- ----------------
At the beginning of 2008, I proposed ctdb (see BTS 460114). This RFP
became an ITP as Christian Perrier (bubulle) suggested it.
The ITP logs every usefull info: I was first scared to package this
tool because I'm not a C developer and don't use autotools and
autoconf. Then I successfully created a working package.
Christian supported me during all this progress.

The package is now uploaded with a recent version and without important
bug (at time of writing of course). I maintain it inside the pkg-samba
team.

I work with upstream to integrate debian patches.

5) Kolab:
- ---------
I've also deeply tested kolab packages and found some problems. I
reported bugs, proposed some patches (now integrated) but thought the
task was too big because the upstream source was not adapted for
distribution specificities.
During the new upstream version development (2.2.0), a rework was done
by the Gentoo packager which made the Debian packaging easier. I
proposed to help packaging and focus on issues from packages outside
of the pkg-kolab team  (see
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-kolab-devel/2007-December/001377.html).
I proposed rewritten packages of the new upstream release candidates
(http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-kolab-devel/2008-February/001407.html).
The new packages are now in unstable at the time of writing
(see
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-kolab-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org)

2.2.1beta1 has been released upstream with a lot of Debian patches
integrated (I have write access to the upstream repository). They are
ready for experimental.

6) horde
- --------
As kolab 2.2 required horde 3.2, I proposed to join the
pkg-horde-hackers team. I've made some experimental packages and
helped Gregory Colpart. They will be in lenny.

7) xinha
- --------
As horde contains externals tools used by other software, I started to
package xinha in the collab-maint repository (see
http://bugs.debian.org/479708).  I've proposed it on debian-mentors.

Those packages are ready to be uploaded IMO, I wait for feedback
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2008/12/msg00291.html).

8) GNU/Linux and free software: now
- -----------------------------------

I use free software at work (partially) and at home (mostly,all except
flash player). I communicate about it with friends and at work.
As I manage an computer network (300 computers, 20 servers), I have
migrated most of the infrastructure to FOSS: bind9, dhcp3, samba,
openldap, puppet, ...

This was a huge work made almost alone, I have learned a lot.

9) My involment in Debian now
- -----------------------------
I maintain ctdb, all kolab packages (7 in unstable, 5 ITPs). I plan to
maintain xinha.
Everything is consigned here:
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=math.parent@gmail.com

I follow planet, debian-devel, debian-devel-announce. I'm sometimes on IRC.

Of course, I use Debian (testing at home with some apt-pinning, etch
on the servers at work).

   Google says:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2008-March/139180.html

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Mathieu Parent has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and
   procedures and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Mathieu committed to uphold the SC
   and DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Mathieu Parent has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Mathieu participates in Horde and Kolab maintainers' teams
   and maintains ctdb.
   All packages are in good shape.
   Mathieu also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches for RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept Mathieu Parent as a Debian Developer.