Re: Debian Membership

Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:
> Micah Anderson wrote:

>> All of this is just fun wingnut ramblings, but I think serves to
>> illustrate that the artificial barrier imposed by the arduous NM
>> process is not that significant of a difficulty for getting inside
>> Debian and we cannot use this as mechanism for making Debian "secure".
>
> The NM process is needed to ensure that new DDs know enough about Debian
> to maintain their packages properly. The NM process can't ensure that no
> evil person passes it (although it makes sure, that evil plans will need
> a lot of time and knowledge), but at least it tries to ensure that new
> DDs have a common knowledge, which is needed definitely.

It also requires that an applicant demonstrate some degree of long-term
committment to wanting to be part of Debian.  I actually think this is
useful.  I don't think the way that we accidentally do that now should be
maintained in its specific details (making the process a lot more
interesting and with more milestones along the way sounds great to me, for
instance), but I don't think reducing the total time from fresh applicant
to DD all that far is that wonderful of a primary goal.  I'd much rather
give people additional capabilities along the way but keep the time to
final DD status at around six months to a year.  I'm not sure there's that
much gained in making membership much faster than that.

I say this as someone who spent seven months in NM.