Re: Debian Membership

On 14/03/09 at 19:11 +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you allow me to share a thought here even though I am not a developer
> and as such do not have any say in this.
>
> Matthew Johnson wrote:
> > My goals with changing the membership procedures are:
> [... snip ...]
>
> While the aims you list themself may be laudable to achieve
> improvements, your *goal* with changing the membership procedures should
> look something like
>
>   Aid Debian to recruit skilled, cooperative, and highly dedicated new
>   volunteers and ensuring that Debian membership is only given to people
>   having these necessary qualities.
>
> Your idea of a good goal may vary, but ultimately, your goal should be
> about membership, not process. Debian desperately lacks a vision for
> developing its membership and sjould develop that to derive an adequate
> process.

I totally agree with that.
One way to move forward could be to list several "position statements"
on Debian membership: those position statements would include
information on the different aspects of membership management, without
going deeply into technical details. We could then have a vote to
determine which "general idea" the project want, and discuss
implementation details.

[...]
> Mind you: comparing Debian to Ubuntu: About 50 people are in
> ubuntu-core-dev (uploading to main) and about 70 more allowed to upload
> to universe. Membership in teams having those permissions is subject to
> expiration for inactive members.

Note that renewing membership only requires to press a button on a web
form. There's no verification of the activity of a developer, if I
remember correctly.