AM report for Charles Plessy

Report for new developer applicant Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with keyid 0xBAFEC7F2:
   ID check passed, key signed by 3 existing developers:

   pub   1024D/BAFEC7F2 2006-03-04
         Key fingerprint = FECC 64F8 4F83 3C7D B93E  213D 7589 7592 BAFE C7F2
   uid                  Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org>
   sig!         72D03CB1 2006-06-17  Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org>
   sig!         864826C3 2006-09-20  GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.org>
   sig!         E7075A54 2007-04-24  Masayuki Hatta (mhatta) <mhatta@gnu.org>

   3 signatures not checked due to missing keys
   Key is ok
   Check for key expire stuff
   Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:
   I am a french molecular biologist living in Japan. I was lucky to
   be put in contact with many different computers in the 80s, so
   although I welcomed Win95 when it was released, it was natural for
   me to leave it for Linux later when the novelty passed but the bugs
   stayed (However, kept a dual boot for games). I quickly ended up
   using Debian because at this time, RedHat Package Management was
   just a hell.

   Having Internet and an Unix computer at home, I started to learn
   things without a real strategy, in a process that could be called
   "serendipitous procrastination", in parallel to my studies in
   molecular biology. I finally used many of the computer things I
   learnt in a research which was made "in silico" using Debian and
   Free Software, which was published in a world-class journal at the
   end of my Ph.D. thesis.

   I am greatly indebted to all the persons who made their works
   available at no charge on Internet, for I would never be able to
   develop my bioinformatic skills and my experimental skills at the
   same time without their generosity. Now that after using Debian for
   many years I became able to create simple packages, I would like to
   contribute back to the community.

   Thanks to its members, I quickly found a home for my work in the
   Debian-Med project. Since February, I am developing a strategy for
   making Debian the best distribution for bioinformatics and systems
   biology. As our human resources are too small for working on all
   topics at the same time, I decided to focus on a simple task first,
   multiple sequence alignments.

   I created six packages and updated two, all containing multiple
   alignment software. This already makes Debian the distribution
   offering the best choice in this field. However, it seems that the
   use of the new packages is done at the expense of some old,
   non-free ones. This shows that for the moment my work is useful to
   users we already had, but did not help to get new users.

   The next step in short term is to add value, for instance by
   packaging a recently developed meta-aligner which needs the output
   of many different programs. Each of them is easy to install from
   the source, but it makes really sense to use Debian to install all
   of them in one single command. Once enough work will be done, I
   will advertise it through a news release that can be relayed on
   Usenet, blogs, and other communication media.

   This work is modest, but I hope that it can attract users and
   developers. The next fields I want to improve in Debian are the
   sequence manipulation software packages (EMBOSS and Staden), and
   then systems biology (biological networks). The complexity of each
   task, and the expected reward, is increasing...

2. Account Data
---------------
   Account: plessy
   Forward-Email: charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Charles has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Charles committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Charles has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Charles is maintainer of several scientific/biology packages. All
   packages are in good shape. Charles also answered my other
   questions regarding T&S without problems and provided patches for
   RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept Charles as a Debian Developer.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/