Re: Checking installability is an NP-complete problem

Thanks for the background.  As it turns out, approximating NP complete
problems was one of the subjects of my research in the past seven years.
The quartet tree program we wrote, the libqsearch program, is indeed
solving an NP-complete problem (finding a best fitting binary tree)
for a limitted size problem.  In practical terms I usually find a
simulated-annealing type approach, monte carlo method, or
metropolis type algorithm gives a "good enough" solution in many real
world cases.  All of these phrases have been used to describe the
libqsearch NP approximation system we wrote.  I am happy to try
to solve the Debian version approximately also (I usually choose STL +
C++ for this kind of thing) but I do not understand the whole problem
or background quite well enough to start it by myself yet.  Cheers, -r.

--
"We can try to do it by breaking free of the mental prison of
separation and exclusion and see the world in its interconnectedness