Re: Big problem - GnuPG key deleted

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 02:14:07PM +0200, Mateusz Papiernik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've got big problem. Accidently my GnuPG key is lost,
> because I accidently deleted ~/.gnupg. Of course :-(

See if you can get your keyring file back with the recover program. (An
ext2fs undelete utility). If the filesystem was not too full and has not
been very heavily written to since the deletion, there's a good chance
you'll be able to get the key back.

Whether you get your original key back or wind up generating a new one, it's
very, very important that you generate a revocation certificate and put
copies of it in several different safe places. If you lose your key,
accidentally reveal the passprase, forget the passphrase, or whatnot, having
a copy of the revocation certificate is the only way to invalidate the
corresponding public key.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com