Re: AM Summary for Miah Gregory <miah@darksilence.net>

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 09:27:52PM +0100, Mateusz Papiernik wrote:
> > is it because it would take more skill to make a package without
> > debhelper?
>
> probably yes, but really - why? Debhelper was created because of
> (quite) hard work needed to create a package without it, and it helps
> very much with maintaining and creating packages - I also think it's a
> standard now, and we *should* use it, because of more integrity of
> various packages, am I wrong? Maybe some of more skilled developers will
> explain us, why that check of maintainer's skills is widely used till
> today?

Somewhat belated, but...

I do it to get sample data, when necessary. T&S isn't something you
can measure with a checklist or a questionnaire; you need to look at
how well the applicant performs the relevant task, and make a value
judgement. Simple packages done with debhelper are very easy to get
right, so they don't count for much. It's far more useful to see how
they fare when faced with a harder task, like packaging without
debhelper.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK