Re: AM Summary for Miah Gregory <miah@darksilence.net>

On 20030308T140323-0600, Graham Wilson wrote:
> i frequently see in am summaries that am's ask prospective developers to
> package something without debhelper. why is this?

I don't know why it is done, but I am glad that it is done.  I
personally use my own Makefile-based helper which should be fairly easy
to decipher for someone who knows the dpkg tools and make (it does
require more than casual understanding of make, since it uses certain
less well known features of GNU Make).  However, I *have* been
criticized for making packages that "most developers" will not be able
to read (since they know only Debhelper).

> is it because it would take more skill to make a package without
> debhelper?

I consider it important that developers have the ability to understand
any reasonable policy-compliant packaging.

      Please send any work-related email to <antkaij@mit.jyu.fi>