Re: AM Summary for Miah Gregory <miah@darksilence.net>

Mateusz Papiernik wrote:
> probably yes, but really - why? Debhelper was created because of
> (quite) hard work needed to create a package without it, and it helps
> very much with maintaining and creating packages - I also think it's a
> standard now, and we *should* use it, because of more integrity of
> various packages, am I wrong? Maybe some of more skilled developers will
> explain us, why that check of maintainer's skills is widely used till
> today?

Part of the reason this check is helpful is directly due to the fact
that debhelper is so commonly used.

As an application manager, I find a significant percentage of NM
applicants are confused between the inputs to debhelper and the actual
structure of a Debian package. As just one example, I ask NM
applicants where the version number is stored in a debian package. The
most common (and incorrect) answer is debian/changelog because
debhelper users learn that's where debhelper looks for the version
number.

Debian policy dictates the format of the Debian package and is
officially agnostic about the use of tools to create the Debian
package. I believe it is important for Debian developers to
demonstrate they know how to make a Debian package without a
high-level tool.

--
       Kevin Rosenberg        |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
  http://b9.com/debian.html   | : :' :      The  universal