changing a dir to a symlink during a package upgrade

I'm a dpkg maintainer, and it has come to my attention that some people do not
know about the dpkg 'feature by design' of not changing a directory to a
symlink when a package is upgraded.  Policy does talk about this, but policy
doesn't go into a lot of detail about it, and can be rather obtuse.

I would like to see this particular feature discussed more, and have new
developers actually understand the issue, before becoming true developers.
It's quite often that when this issue occurs, they blame dpkg, when this is
the way it is designed to function.

Please cc me, I'm not on this list.