Re: Preparation of Kodi 19.0 "Matrix" packages

Dear colleagues,

As Kodi 18.8 is finally uploaded to unstable and 19.0~alpha1 is out upstream, let's discuss the practical feasibility of renaming the upstream branches in
team's kodi and kodi-addon repositories to use 'upstream/latest' and 'upstream/x.x.x' names.

In the repositories hosted in my personal Salsa space, I changed d/watch files to target only Matrix tarballs from the all-wildcard solution which was there for years. My intention here is to allow every separate pair of upstream + debian branch to track its own version of upstream Kodi, rather than block everything when the newest version is uploaded, say, to experimental.

However, now we have the following unique situation: whole 18.x branch is present only in unstable, blocked by python2 deprecation transition from migration into unstable. It means that 19.0~alpha1 can be safely uploaded to experimental without any impact to testing. That in turn means we can
still keep a single upstream branch and a wildcard d/watch entry.

When Kodi 20 will be in development, Kodi 19 will receive security and critical functionality bugfix backports and at that time it surely will be in bullseye
so we will have to separate the branches anyway to keep parallel packaging alive.

So the question is: do we stick with single upstream branch in multimedia-team/kodi and wildcard d/watch until we have an absolute need to separate
branches or we agree to do it now in advance?

If we agree to rename branches, I will use the common scheme for all my personal repositories uploaded to NEW queue.

Cheers!
--
Vasyl Gello
Certified SolidWorks Expert