List of required packages.

Xine says:

"-xine engine error-
There is no input plugin available to handle 'dvd:/.

Maybe the MRL syntax is wrong or the file system source doesn't exist."

VLC says:

"Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details."

...and /var/log/vlc says:....nothing, because it doesn't seem to exist.

I'm beginning to think I have a dicky dvd-rw, but it burns isos alright,
so that would appear to imply functionality?
Regards,

Weaver.

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine