Re: XMMS/ALSA - how to get mono output?

Hello.

Thanks a lot for your replay (also thanks
to Eduardo Marcel Macan and tim hall)!

guenter geiger:

> Add the following to your /.asoundrc (or
> /etc/asound.conf for system wide changes).
>
> pcm.mono {
>    type plug
>    slave {
>       pcm default
>       channels 1
>    }
>    route_policy average
> }
>
> This defines a new virtual alsa device called "mono". In xmms you
> have to configure the ALSA driver to use the "mono" device too.

The only catch was that XMMS didn't put the "mono" option in the
drop-down, but after seeing in beep-media-player that it's an editable
field I simply deleted "default" and wrote "mono". It works wonders. :o)

> Further instructions (but cryptic, although) are at:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php?module=Generic

I googled for "mono site:alsa-project.org", but these instructions
are much broader, and thus the search missed them. Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
-- Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)
--
          If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.
                              ~~~ Paul Beatty ~~~

                                                     http://shot.pl/hovercraft/