Re: ftp.de.debian.org now in Sweden?

Philipp Hahn schrieb am Thursday, dem 08. November 2018:

> Hello,
>
> tl;dr: Did I miss the announcement that ftp.de is down?

There was no announcment.  We update DNS of mirrors that are down all
the time.  That's the whole point of service names.

> I'm using ftpsync to update our local mirror from ftp.de.debian.org, as
> that one provides rsync support for debian-security. That job fails
> since today. Digging deeper I found the following change:
>
> > $ dig ftp.de.debian.org
> > ;ftp.de.debian.org.             IN      A
> > ftp.de.debian.org.      251     IN      CNAME   ftp.acc.umu.se.
> > ftp.acc.umu.se.         394     IN      A       194.71.11.165
> > ftp.acc.umu.se.         394     IN      A       194.71.11.173
>
> Did something happen to TU Dresen (which AFAIK was operating ftp.de)?

debian.inf.tu-dresden.de is down.  the only service that
ftp.<cc>.debian.org is guaranteed to provide is http at /debian.

> I know the recommendation from
> <https://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror.en.html>:
> > We recommend debian-security not be mirrored.
>
> but I need to mirror the security archive for post-processing and rsync
> was helping me with regular updates quiet nicely. If there is some other
> preferred way to mirror the security archive efficiently I'm open to
> change our process.

Actually, if all you care about is security then security.debian.org
provides rsync.  At least for now.

Cheers,
--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System