Re: Service names for Debian mirrors in cloud infrastructure

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 20:12:00 -0500, Donald wrote in message
<[🔎] 568DBB60.9000602@portalus.com>:

> On 01/06/2016 12:08 PM, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > Martin Zobel-Helas schrieb am Mittwoch, dem 06. Jänner 2016:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> with my DSA hat on: none of the mirrors under ftp.CC.debian.org are
> >> under DSA control. Some of the mirrors might be administrated by
> >> individual members of the DSA team, but none is official under DSA
> >> control.
> > Yes, but this isn't one of those.
> >
> > Hosters usually have their http://mirror.$hoster/, such as
> > http://mirror.nl.leaseweb.net/debian/.
> >
> > I do not see why this should be under .debian.org if it's not
> > intended for the general public.  Having something under
> > mirrors.azure or whatever this is called seems perfectly reasonable.
> >
> > Cheers,
> We did talk briefly about naming conventions for cloud infrastructure,
> so this is a nice tie into that conversation, which hopefully we can
> have now. Regarding this particular cloud instance, I also do not see
> the point in having it under d.o. if it is not for external
> connections. Perhaps once an internal consensus is reached on the
> naming convention this cloud instance could follow suit.
>
> As we now have "debian.mirrors.debian.org", I would think about
> "$vendor.mirrors.debian.org" and, if they really want to mirror debug,
> also "debug.$vendor.mirrors.debian.org".  But I'm open to suggestions.

..this looks more like a Debian owned etc mirror for DM, DD
etc people trying to make sense of what $vendor messed up.

..any decent vendor donating a mirror, would set up complete
e.g. debian.org.mirror.vendor.com and by that qualify as e.g.
tor4.ru.debian.org, ftp3.de.debian.org, rsync2.no.debian.org,
https42.fi.devuan.org etc.

> Separately I do like idea of $vendor.mirror.d.o. as it shows who the
> sponsor is and subtly indicates the mirror is not a Debian
> owned/operated mirror.
>
> $type.$vendor.mirrors.d.o looks good on paper but could get out of
> hand considering we have ports, backports, etc...

...on and/or for hardware originating from said vendors... ;o)

> Best regards,
>
> Donald Norwood

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: