Mirror audit, push mirrors, status.

Dear Debian Mirror Admins,

If you offer a mirror service for Debian, Thank you. Without your time,
effort,
network, and disk space this would be impossible.

A few items:

Syncproxy.wna is running out of disk space, we are in the process of
moving to a
new syncproxy and will update the list when this has started and the status.

There has been some discussion about moving forward to push-mirrors only
across
the network rather than push-mirrors and leafs. Join the discussion in
IRC or
via this mailing list.

-

The mirrors team is undergoing a review and audit of our mirrors
network. We are
asking at this time that administrators please ensure that the information
listed for your mirror is valid[1], that the mirror is available, and
that the
mirror is in sync with the archive.

As we go through the masterlist of mirrors mirrors will be removed that are:

*Failing: Host, network, or services.

*Extremely out of sync with the archive.

*Have unresponsive administrators or incorrect contact information.

*Not in line with tracefile reporting.

*Do not update or sync at least four times per day.

Most of those are fairly explanatory. The most extreme of them being the new
requirement for ensuing that mirrors are in sync with the archive by
requiring
an update of at least 4 times per day. This is being asked for several
reasons:

If the mirror is several hours out of sync with the archive the mirror
is not
considered by the redirector[2] and is removed from the pool of available
mirrors, local users who seek out that mirror will send the mirror team
an email
which we in turn forward to you to sync your mirror which is an
avoidable delay,
and lastly, if the mirror is out of sync with the archive it is not a mirror
it's an artifact.

Please take this time to send an email to mirrors@debian.org with the
current
and correct administrative contact for your mirror. It is essential that
we are
able to contact you on occasion.

It is ideal if your mirror uses the ftpsync[3] set of scripts, they have
been
tailored just for this purpose, are updated, and provide mirror
administrators
with the means of ensuring that their mirror is up to date.

The scripts also provide our status and checker bots with the tools they
need to
mark your mirror as current. The mirror trace-file must report the time
of the
last update and be named after your server, the other information such as
architectures is nice to see but not essential at this time.

Come and join us on IRC! #debian-mirrors on OFTC.

[1] https://www.debian.org/mirror/list
[2] http://http.debian.net/
[3] https://ftp-master.debian.org/ftpsync.tar.gz

Best regards,