Re: Include Asian security mirror in sources.list?

Hi,

Asher Rosenfeld wrote:
> I carried out some tests using servers in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Seoul,
> Manila and Jakarta and found that http://security.debian.org always
> resolved to a US IP address, never to the one in Japan, where the
> Asian mirror is supposed to be located.

Ok, so that means the GeoDNS for security.debian.org seems not working
as expected in Asia. GeoDNS is a not a very exact technology, but this
indeed looks wrong.

> Hence, may I ask the people who are directly in charge of the Asian
> mirror to provide a direct URL instead of http://security.
> debian.org and let GeoDNS do the job.
>
> Or, am I asking too much? in which case I apologize for it.

No, the request is valid IMHO. Nevertheless that's not how it's
supposed to work (and I personally don't know any details about that
security.debian.org mirror), so we need to have a closer look at the
issue.

Cc'ing the Debian Security team as IIRC the security mirrors are not
maintained under the normal mirrors hat.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin