Re: bandwidth and space required to sync a basic mirror

ftp2.de.debian.org reporting in :)

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 01:31:00PM -0500, anarcat wrote:
> Munin/Cacti graph of the disk usage from an existing mirror for the last
> year would be awesome here, for example.

Debian
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/cgi-bin/collection.modified.cgi?action=show_graph;plugin=df;type=df_complex;plugin_instance=pub-debian;host=ftp.halifax.RWTH-Aachen.DE;timespan=year

Debian Backports
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/cgi-bin/collection.modified.cgi?action=show_graph;plugin=df;type=df_complex;plugin_instance=pub-debian-backports;host=ftp.halifax.RWTH-Aachen.DE;timespan=year

Debian CD
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/cgi-bin/collection.modified.cgi?action=show_graph;plugin=df;type=df_complex;plugin_instance=pub-debian-cd;host=ftp.halifax.RWTH-Aachen.DE;timespan=year

Debian Volatile
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/cgi-bin/collection.modified.cgi?action=show_graph;plugin=df;type=df_complex;plugin_instance=pub-debian-volatile;host=ftp.halifax.RWTH-Aachen.DE;timespan=year

I also have data for the time before that, just not in the same graphs.
Just browse around on http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/

> Bandwidth for updates
> =====================
>
> It is unclear how much data is transfered on a daily or (ideally)
> monthly basis for updates to the archive. I found a graph[2] which seem
> to show the size transfered varies between 2 and 15 GB on a daily basis,
> but that data is old (2012-08-12) and it's hard to get a good idea of
> what it actually means - what's the average, for example? Or better,
> what's the 95th percentile?

The red lines (rsync) correspond to downloads we actively do using rsync
(after being triggered).

http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/rrd/debian-backports%23month.png
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/rrd/debian-cd%23month.png
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/rrd/debian-volatile%23month.png
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/rrd/debian%23month.png

The graphical representation is not too helpful, but I also have the
corresponding raw (Java-)RRD data. Just message me if you need something.

> Bandwidth for users
> ===================
>
> I assume this is the hardest part to figure out, as this will vary
> wildly according to the region you're in and the relative popularity of
> your mirror.
>
> The official mirror page[3] states that you need a "T1 or better" (for
> the record and those who weren't around in those days, a T1 is
> 1.5Mbit/s). I hardly think this requirement is fit for a public mirror
> these days. :) The official page does mention this requirement is
> "higher" for "developped countries", but fails to clarify that
> requirement.

Have a look at the graphs above. With 51 MBit/sec on average, Debian is
not very demanding (although we're not ftp.de.debian.org, just ftp2).

Bye,
--
Carsten Otto           otto@informatik.rwth-aachen.de
LuFG Informatik 2      http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/