Re: Looking for the feedback from mirror maintainers

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:11:51PM +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> > A question has come up multiple times within the FreeBSD community,
> > should we be using other project mirror sites for our distfile
> > fetching?
>
> In general: Why not?

I have started this conversation in some IRC and mailing lists, so
please forgive me if I am repeating myself.  I have forgotten who I have
talked to along the way!

A common thread amongst the groups I have engaged is quite simply, share
and share alike.  Their is a general feeling that we are all into
opensource for a reason, and we should be able to share what we have
with other groups.

> One of the answers may be: Because they're not always exactly what
> comes from upstream, but repacked for a variety of reasons.

Good reason

> I started a discussion about this (and was argueing basically with
> what you ask for) recently on our debian-devel list, but unfortunately
> there weren't many replies:
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/01/msg00029.html
>
> I still think that one of the reasons for preferring non-repacked
> upstream tarballs is that other source-based distributions can use
> them from our mirror network the same way as if they download it from
> upstream.
>
> > The reality is, from time to time, original project sites drop out of
> > existence, but the usefulness of their the source code lives on.  In
> > some cases we are missing the original download links, and utilise the
> > services of projects such as yours who might be mirroring the distfiles
> > we require.  The files would be found under
> > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/
>
> Instead of a hardcoded list you can possibly use cdn.debian.net which
> should point users to a close-by mirror. If http is ok, too, there's
> also another geo-locating method in use at http://http.debian.net/.
> See http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGeoMirror for the details.

This will be investigated, thanks for this bit of info.

> > Our list of mirror sites we use can be seen here,
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk?rev=1.558;content-type=text%2Fplain.
> > You can scroll down to find DEBIAN.
>
> As Kurt already pointed out: Forget about non-US, it's history since a
> decade or so.

I replied back privately to Kurt, there is some sed-fu that strips it,
but I shall take the time to update it now.

> > Finally to the point, we have just made this list of what appear to be
> > official mirror sites.  What I am looking for is for people to declare
> > whether the mirror they maintain be included or excluded from this list.
>
> Speaking for ftp.ch.debian.org (which is not in the list?), I'm fine
> with that. :-)

So can I :)

The sense I got from participants on IRC was to seek voluntarily
inclusion, so, for as long as I have a certain say in matters, I will
seek permission before adding a mirror, instead of just listing it.

> > Just to be clear, I am not looking for official mirroring services of
> > FreeBSD related stuff, just a general acceptance that we can use your
> > mirror sites for some occasional distfile retrieval.
>
> I really wonder why there should be any reason why we could forbid or
> not allow that. It's free software after all, we all work for the same
> idea and I don't suspect occasional source downloads causes remarkable
> more traffic on our mirrors.

While we all work for a better world in opensource, some feel if they
donate resources or even money to a project, they think that only that
project and it's client base should be entitled to it.  Which is why I
have come around to asking these questions.

--
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer
tabthorpe@FreeBSD.org	| http://people.freebsd.org/~tabthorpe