Re: mirror.debian.net maintenance

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:28:36 -0400, Joey wrote in message
<20080331172836.GD6042@kodama.kitenet.net>:

> Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Hm, yeah. I'm thinking what would be the best way to handle this
> > selection in general. The country can be autodetected remotely, but
> > the architecture can be autodetected locally. We could put your
> > stuff at <arch>.{official,unofficial}.mirror.debian.org (.net
> > during testing), and extend the sources.list(5) parser to support
> > that somehow - we could possibly use the $(ARCH) variable
> > reference, but that seems to be unavailable in the host parameter
> > right now, and it's also ugly. Instead, something like
> >
> > deb arch+http://official.mirror.debian.org/debian stable main
> >
> > And then it prepends the architecture string to the hostname.
>
> sources.list already has a $(ARCH), and this already works:
>
> deb http://$(ARCH).official.mirror.debian.org/debian stable main

..do I guess this right that the idea is, prepend architecture
names to the current name scheme ftp.$(CC).debian.org to
e.g. $(ARCH).ftp2.no.debian.org to enable
"deb http://$(ARCH).ftp2.no.debian.org/debian stable main"
style entries in "/etc/apt/sources.list"?

..this would make mirroring a wee bit easier, as people can
spread a full mirror across several disks or machines, e.g.
i386.ftp2.no.debian.org, amd62.ftp2.no.debian.org etc, rather
than limit mirroring to volonteers with big ass disk budgets.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: