Re: where to sync from?

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 18:07 +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 12:07:09PM -0400, Ricardo Yanez wrote:
> > Many years ago, before 2002, we were syncing with ftp.br.debian.org,
> > then one day, the entire debian/ tree was gone with the catastrophic
> > result that our entire tree was deleted as well. It took us weeks to
> > re-build the tree again (yeah, that slow! and debian in those days was a
> > 10th of what is today). Based on this painful experience I've been very
> > reluctant to use leaf mirrors to sync.
>
> ftp.br.d.o had its share of problems in the past, yes, but that was probably
> when it was hosted elsewhere. The alias changed hands a few times by now.
>
> About that particular problem - please use the option --max-delete for
> rsync. Set it to something like 50000, that should be safe enough.
>
> > I mean, ftp.cl.debian.org is a leaf mirror, low in the hierarchy, and
> > should stay there based on it's not-so-hot "stableness". I see
> > ftp.br.debian.org is also a leaf mirror, which I interpret as not being so
> > high in the hierarchy either. Maybe I'm wrong about my interpretation of
> > Leaf, Secondary and Primary mirrors, but these categories must somehow
> > reflect how committed the sponsor and admins are to the mirror, right?
>
> In this particular case, we have a bit of an inconsistency. By assigning the
> ftp.*.d.o alias, we at Debian want to recognize the quality of a mirror and
> relay this information to all the users, too.
>
> The mirrors in the western hemisphere are mostly dependent on the Northern
> American mirrors, mainly because ftp-master.debian.org is in the US and the
> layout of the Internet links in general works that way. It would be logical
> for us Debianites to work with mirror admins in both North and South America
> in order to provide the best service; for example, we should organize the
> first tier of push-mirrors and provide assistance with the second tier;
> allowing more mirrors to get pushed so that they can update more
> efficiently.
>
> Yet, we have this bizarre situation where the North American mirrors
> have been continuously either neglected or struggling due to external
> influences, despite the fact that they are actually the closest ones to
> ftp-master.debian.org.
>
> We have the ftp.debian.org which is constantly overloaded, but graciously
> hosted at a university which won't kick us out (at least not yet). It is
> maxing out its 100Mbit connection virtually all the time[1]. We have
> ftp.us.debian.org as a round-robin of three, currently - one is ftp.d.o,
> the other is another mirror at a university, and the third is
> mirrors.kernel.org, hosted by ISC. All of those are generally under a high
> load, because the US users aren't aided in order to spread the load. The
> Canadians either; we used to have a separate ftp.ca.debian.org, but once
> that site went offline, nobody worked to seek a replacement, and instead
> all that load was shifted onto ftp.debian.org. It's been like that for years
> [...]

I must thank you for such upfront and honest description of things. As
an old-time mirror admin (started 1999) I have felt many times
abandonment and incomprehension from Debian. Debian is still a
non-profit, volunteer-based organization, so I won't judge or complain.
After all, I chose Debian, and committed to it, for that very reason.

It seems to me there is a lot we can do, I mean among ourselves, mirror
admins. I think it's true a lot of mirrors in the mirror list are hardly
used. I myself, knowing first hand how the mirror structure works,
choose without hesitating a ftp.[].debian.org mirror depending on where
I am. Prejudice? perhaps, but I tend to blame it on gut instinct.
Whatever says debian.org gives me instant confidence. Bottom line, there
is a lot of willing bandwidth out there that is not properly used to
balance the load. What if admins of the same country subscribed to this
list joined in effort? Just to pull an example. I just recently, based
on this discussion, payed attention to the Brazil mirror. Looking at the
mirror list, one sees there are seven (7!) mirrors in Brazil. One
immediately wonders why these 7 could not join forces, much like the US
three official mirrors, into one potent rotation of mirrors? Three of
them even come from the same university! See the point? Chile has two
mirrors, our own and debian.ubiobio.cl. Couldn't we do the same as the
ftp.us.debian.org mirrors do? BTW, is the admin of debian.ubiobio.cl
subscribed to this list? Then there wouldn't be any mirrors looked down
upon.

Ricardo Yanez