Re: Official Loongson-port

Cato Auestad a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> Is there any work being done trying to make an "official" port of
> Debian to the Loongson-platform?
> At Debian.org I can't see Loongson listed on the mips(el)-pages as a
> supported platform.

What do you mean an "official" port of Debian? There has been an effort
about creating a dedicated Loongson port using n32 ABI and Loongson
optimizations, however it is mostly stopped by now.

Anyway the mips and mipsel ports in Debian are more or less in danger of
being removed, so we should now concentrate on making these ports
working before trying to do another port.

For the Loongson support in Debian, we are mainly missing the kernel. We
have no support for the Loongson 2E CPU, and only support for Loongson
2F in experimental. You can however install it by hand from:

http://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-image-2.6.35-trunk-loongson-2f

About the others things needed, there is grub 2 support for the Yeelong.
GCC has been patched to workaround CPU silicon bugs and all the packages
that have been built in the last 2 months include the fixes.

Finally we currently don't have debian-installer support for the
yeelong, however if you're not afraid of hacking a bit, here is a
procedure to make it partially working (generally tested, but not on
this hardware):
- Take vmlinux from linux-image-2.6.35-trunk-loongson-2f package
- Take initrd.gz from another architecture, for example:
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/mipsel/20100817-00:27/malta/netboot/initrd.gz

Boot on these image, it should run debian-installer. You will have a few
warnings saying that the kernel modules are not available or that the
partition label is unknown. Just click on continue or just answer the
question. Finally you will have a warning message telling you that no
bootloader is available. Before rebooting, enter the chroot (/target)
and install grub-yeelong.

This may need a few adaptations, but it should basically work.

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73