Re: MIPS kernel snapshots - 2.6.30-rc4

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 11:10:49AM +0200, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Subject: Re: MIPS kernel snapshots - 2.6.30-rc4
>
> Il giorno lun, 04/05/2009 alle 21.19 +0200, Martin Michlmayr ha scritto:
> > I've built kernel snapshots for mips and mipsel based on 2.6.30-rc4.
> > Please test them on your favourite MIPS machine and report any
> > problems you encounter to this list.
> >
> > You can find the kernel packages at
> > http://people.debian.org/~tbm/mips/kernel/r13560/
>
> This kernel does not work in SGI O2 since it mount the root file system
> (ext3) as read only. The mount command show the file system as
> read/write, but it is read only. No daemon get to start since they
> cannot write on /tmp nor /var/run.
> 2.6.29-rc8-r5k-ip32 still works well.

Typically the boot scripts are responsible for remounting. The kernel should
always mount the root filesystem as read-only - and only after successful
fsck or better fsck test the boot script should remount rw ...

/etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh

330         #
331         # Remount root to final mode (rw or ro).
332         #
333         # See the comments above at the previous "mount -o remount"
334         # for an explanation why we try this twice.
335         #
336         if ! mount -n -o remount,$rootopts,$rootmode $fstabroot / 2>/dev/null
337         then
338                 mount -n -o remount,$rootopts,$rootmode /
339         fi

So you should have some interesting error messages on boot explaining
the problem.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo@rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little