Re: WRT54G Support?

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 20:11, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote
about 'Re: WRT54G Support?':
> * Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@volumehost.net> [2006-02-14 14:05]:
> > Nice, so the kernel and package support is there, good.  That's the
> > main thing I was concerned with.  My specs are almost identical, I
>
> Flash flashout is probably different.  That's hard-coded so far and
> needs some code to auto-detect it.

Since I don't know what this means, it's clear I need to learn a bit more
about mips.  I'll see if I can't pick up that "See MIPS Run" book you
mentioned in another message -- is there any source code you can recommend
as particularly enlightening?

> > I'm not so concerned with the storage issue.  My "grand design"
> > includes having the image on flash pivot_root onto nfs
>
> Ugh.  Why don't you just get a device which has USB, such as the
> WGT634U or the Asus WL-500g?

I don't really *need* an upgrade, and this is a device that I've had for a
number of years already.  Just switching to OpenWRT has made it perform
better under heavy load.

> > I know debian-installer isn't going to be able to do this
> > automatically,
>
> Actually, if you just want to run Debian via NFS, it's pretty trivial.
> Simply build a kernel with the BCM patches applied, build in NFS
> root support and a proper kernel cmdline and flash it...

That's what I'm looking at right now, but it's a little harder than that
because the nfs server will actually depend on the wrt to assign it an IP
address. 'course maybe that's just bad network design. :P

> > 1a) Configure the vlans (settings from nvram)
>
> Setting stuff from nvram isn't really the way Debian works.

Yeah, that's fine, I was only going to use that as a way to keep the
Squashfs image small.  I guess there's really no need for that, and /etc
(or whatever) on the readonly image would be fine, although then I'd have
to reflash the system to change the boot behavior. :/

> Yeah, I think you can do all of that with a kernel with the BCM
> patches plus a custom initramfs that you develop that does all of this
> stuff.

Well, I had problems with debootstrap, too, so I couldn't get a debian
system that was suitable to chroot into.  If I reproduce the errors, I
assume I can get some troubleshooters to help me through it on this list,
right?

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
bss03@volumehost.net