Re: debian vs irix?

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 04:02:28PM +1000, vik wrote:

> I have recently acquired an Indy box; as far as I can tell it should b
> able to run debian (which i am quite familiar with on x86 boxes, while I
> don't know jack about irix). However, its main use will be as a web
> browsing box, and maybe some other basic applications, prhaps as an
> X-terminal. How is the speed of linux/Xwindows/netscape on such a box
> (133MHz CPU, 64Mb RAM)?

Well, an Indy is slow by today's standards in the PC world. X works,
but is unaccelerated, so do not expect much there, either. Netscape
is not available for Linux/MIPS, but browsers like dillo, w3m-img and
konqueror should work. I do not have practical experience with them
on an Indy, though.

> Also, is the indycam supported at all?

Still work-in-progress.

HTH,