Re: [jitsi-dev] Jitsi in Debian

Am 18.10.2015 um 22:38 schrieb Wookey:
> +++ Damian Minkov [2015-10-18 14:17 -0500]:
[...]
>> I'm aware of the downloading while building problem, but you mean
>> there is no way to reuse maven stuff while packaging, as the list of
>> dependencies is maybe 30-40 libraries?
>
> Maven and Debian policy go together very badly. If the project doesn't
> already use maven then _please_ don't change to it. It's terrible for
> security and reproducibility. Nothing about getting the project
> packaged would be helped by such a change - in fact it would be a
> major hindrance.

Hi,

just wanted to chime in here as a member of the Debian Java team.
Actually nowadays Maven and Debian go perfectly well together as we
prevent Maven from downloading anything during the build process. Of
course this requires that all your artifacts must be packaged for Debian
already. Then Maven will just find them in /usr/share/maven-repo.

So it doesn't really matter if you prefer Ant or Maven as build system.
Both are equally well supported. What matters is that the build system
is supported upstream and all necessary dependencies are packaged for
Debian.

Please feel free to ask Java specific questions on debian-java or to
join the team. We gladly help you to solve those packaging questions.

Regards,

Markus