Re: Detecting stray writes in cowbuilder

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 09:43:39PM +0200, David Given wrote:
> I've just had a FTBFS bug on a new upload caused by a debian/rules bug
> where I was running upstream's make install twice, once without setting
> PREFIX. This was causing the package to be installed to $HOME as will as
> to ./debian/tmp.
>
> This worked while doing the packaging, because it was silently getting
> installed in my home directory; and it worked in cowbuilder, because it
> was silently getting installed in the build's home directory and then
> discarded; but it was failing on the build servers because the build
> server's $HOME is read-only.
>
> Is there a way to make cowbuilder detect writes to places that shouldn't
> be written to so this doesn't happen again in the future?

All this is pbuilder's bug https://bugs.debian.org/441052 (cc'ed)
Don't be scared about the dates, pbuilder is now alive again.

The change that setted HOME to a writable directory is since 2002, I
wonder if I should revert that.

If I'm going down that rout I'll add a variable in pbuilderrc that
defaults to /nonexistent.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo