Re: I'm so frustrated trying to adopt a package, I could scream.

Some progress. I got an error message from control@bugs.debian.org.
Before I got nothing.

My email's body was:

package blt
retitle 664092 ITA: blt -- the BLT extension library for Tcl/Tk -
run-time package
owner 664092 pauljohn32@freefaculty.org

The response listed errors:

############

> package blt
Limiting to bugs with field 'package' containing at least one of 'blt'
Limit currently set to 'package':'blt'

> retitle 664092 ITA: blt -- the BLT extension library for Tcl/Tk - run-time package
package: "wnpp"' does not match at least one of "blt"
Failed to set the title of 664092: limit failed for bugs: 664092.

> owner 664092 pauljohn32@freefaculty.org
package: "wnpp"' does not match at least one of "blt"
Failed to mark 664092 as having an owner: limit failed for bugs: 664092.
############

Can I guess what's next? 664092 is a bug against the metapackage wnpp.
So my message is supposed to be:

package wnpp
retitle 664092 ITA: blt -- the BLT extension library for Tcl/Tk -
run-time package
owner 664092 pauljohn32@freefaculty.org

Again, if I ever succeed at this, I'll try to write up a more clear
explanation because I feel certain now the Debian way of adopting new
packages is driving away people who can package but can't wade through
a lot of bureaucratic crud.

This needs to be vivisected:

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/index.html#howto-o

If none of you use reportbug to adopt packages, there's a lot we could
cut and clean in there.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director