Re: Cleaning up obsolete conffiles

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

> I have many obsolete conffiles on my system.

Please file bugs about obsolete conffiles when you find new ones. The
packages themselves should clean up their obsolete conffiles. To help
with this task, you can install the package called 'adequate' and
enable the post-install debconf prompt.

> But of course many packages are difficult to purge.

Every package must be possible to purge, if it is not possible then it
is a release-critical issue and you should file a severity serious bug
against the package.

> How can I as a system administrator clean that obsolete conffile up?

rm -f /etc/some-obsolete-conffile
apt-get --reinstall install package-that-provided-the-obsolete-conffile

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise