Re: Packaging ulogd 2.x

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Maykel Moya wrote:

> 1. ulogd vs ulogd2 package name.
> I'm not sure why the ITP was filled changing the package name. It's true
> the file format has changed but it has changed before too between
> versions 1.02-2 and 1.23-1.
> I've decided to use the existing package name and document a file syntax
> change and use debconf to show a warning (actually it's what the
> current package is doing if you upgrade from < 1.23).
> It this recommended practice? Is there any policy on this?

I would recommend not renaming the package and handling package
upgrades properly, a warning doesn't sound like what I as a user of a
package would expect.

> 2. package version
> I'm using 2.0.1-0.1 hoping that someone will do an NMU. Is there any
> difference between 2.0.1-1 and 2.0.1-0.1? Policy here?

The package is orphaned, so it would not be an NMU. It should be
either a QA upload or an adoption.

> 3. migrating d/copyright to DEP5
> Current copyright is here[2] and I would like to migrate it to DEP5.
> >From my previous experience it's enough to specify the upstream license
> in the 'Header paragraph' and then a 'Files paragraph' for debian/* files.
>
> In [3] you can see that apart from laforge's copyright, there are 3
> other names (Daniel, Joerg and Achilleas) involved without copyright.
>
> Forgot the question here, so... What is the current practice for porting
> a copyright like this to DEP5?

Same as for a new package; go through the upstream code looking for
copyright and license statements. licensecheck can help there and
/usr/lib/cdbs/licensecheck2dep5 can generate DEP5 output from the
licensecheck output. You still need to go through the upstream code to
make sure the output is complete and correct.

> 4. Versioned library dependency
> Upstream code requires libnetfilter-conntrack >= 1.0.2 for building[3]
> but that dependency is not picked by shlibs:Depends neither by
> misc:Depends. The binary package ends depending o
> 'libnetfilter-conntrack3'. Should I add the versioned dependency manually?

1.0.2 is not available in Debian yet, so I wonder how you built it
without that dependency satisfied?
The build-dependency should be versioned, but the resulting
shlibs:Depends is the responsibility of the libnetfilter-conntrack
maintainer. I would suggest finding out the reason for the versioned
build-dependency.

--
bye,
pabs