Re: Is it ok to distribute xapian index with Upstream Source file?

On 12/14/12, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Alexander Busorguin wrote:
>
>> dualword is a foreign language vocabulary trainer. There is original
>> index with words in
>> /usr/share/dualword/index and user can create a copy in
>> .dualword/index where user
>> statistics is stored.
>
> Sounds reasonable (and an interesting program).
> I might be interested in sponsoring this, I'll look at your RFS mail
> to debian-mentors when it gets sent.
thanks.

>>>How long does it take to generate the xapian index?
> You didn't answer this query.
It's small and it doesn't take a lot of time ~30sec, but it will be
larger in the future and I don't recreate it for every release right
now(if there was no update to vocabulary), so it's one more reason why
I would prefer to distribute generated index, if possible.

>>>How large is the xapian index?
>> I've started this project a couple of month ago and index is quite small
>> ~1mb
> It seems reasonable to ship that index in a binary package.

>>>Do we have the tools to build the xapian index in Debian? I know we
>>>have xapian in Debian but there may be some preprocessing tools needed
>>>for passing data to xapian.
> You didn't answer this question either.
I don' have the answer. I'm using my own tool for now.

>> It's the reason why I'm asking. I'll have to make some changes if it's
>> a requirement.
> Unless there is a good reason not to, you should build generated files
> at package build time (or runtime).
Is it absolute requirement? Can I distribute prebuilt index in the
first versions and
make these changes later?