Re: Renaming files, patching, renaming files, unpatching, and 3.0 (quilt)

Again removing Damyan :)

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012, Jasmine Hassan wrote:
>> Exactly, and gnome 2.x is no longer maintained, nor is Compiz 0.8.8,
>> last in release 0.8.x from April 2011
>
> So you have no other solution than to take over upstream maintenance.

Not interested.

>> > In that case, I truly believe that MATE should fork Compiz as well
>> > and provide clean upstream sources (even if they are automatically
>> > generated by a script that does the renames and all).
>>
>> That's what I'm doing. Wolfgang Ulrich has also done similar, for
>> redhat/fedora http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=276286
>
> You should really collaborate on upstream maintenance and differ only in
> the packaging.

Again, not interested

>> In case someone decides to take over maintaining the package in
>> unstable (and that it returns to testing), will collide, and
>> apt-pinning is a pain for LMDE devs/maintainers.
>
> You certainly should not take over the compiz package. You should
> introduce "compiz-mate" that builds entirely new binary packages.

That's what I did. compiz-mate. But I certainly don't wanna bother
with a 3-year old release in unstable :)

And so, I head back to LMDE, and hope the devs are willing to apt-pin :)

> Cheers,
> --
> Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer
>
> Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
> → http://debian-handbook.info/get/

Best,
Jasmine