Re: GPL and OpenSSL

Hi,

On 04.06.2012 23:07, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:
> Is this md5 function compatible with GPL license? If it isn't, are there
> any other implementation compatible with GPL2?

No it is not. The OpenSSL crypto routines are under the same terms as
the whole OpenSSL project. The OpenSSL license is not compatible to any
GPL software which makes the whole approach a GPL violation. This is a
problem on the GPL code side, however. Thus you have two alternatives:

a) Do not link against OpenSSL but GnuTLS
b) Tell the upstream authors of your software (i.e. those who provide
the GPL software) to make an OpenSSL linking exception [1][2]

I find it quite strange that the upstream authors are aware of this
problem but do not care to violate their own licensing terms by the way
(this makes alternative b) quite appealing to them I guess).

[1] http://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl
[2] http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2

--
with kind regards,