Re: How to provide a helper script to be sourced by maintainer scripts

Hi Arno,

Am 25.03.2012 14:36, schrieb Arno Töll:

> As another alternative which comes me in mind is a pseudo-shared
> library. You would put the common functions into
> debian/maintscripts-common and copy its contents at build time to a
> defined position in your maintainer script (e.g. just like debhelper
> does with #DEBHELPER#).

I like that idea. I just wish, there already was something like

	dh_maintinsert <tag> <file>

which would replace #tag# with the contents of file in all maintainer
script, i.e. a generalization of the #DEBHELPER# mechanism.

I know that one of the problems with debhelper is "that everyone would
like to see a program added to it to handle some special-purpose thing"
(http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/debhelper/). Could it be that
dh_maintinsert is something that at least has not been suggested before?
So far, I've found a thread on "maintainer script factorization"
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2008/02/msg00580.html).

Malte