Re: A "Review & Mentor" team

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> On 03/13/2012 06:18 PM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> I would also love to see a "Review & Mentor" team, something that could
>> work along and with the NM process, whose task would be to do just what
>> the name suggests: reivew packages, help find a sponsor
>
> Oh, *that* is very interesting. And that gives me another idea.
[...]
> Now, what I'd be very glad to have would be that Debexpo knows about
> tags, and that someone needing sponsoring would tag his package once
> it's uploaded to Debexpo.

This is something, I believe, that would be covered by the DebExpo GSoC
project[1], which I referred to in my mail to -vote, too. ;)

 [1]: http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects#Semantic_Package_Review_Interface_for_mentors.debian.net

> A sponsor would, on his side, select what type of tags he is interested
> in. For me for example, I'd be selecting server type of software, so I'd
> for example select system::server. Then I would receive on my mail all
> request for sponsoring server related RFS only, saving me the loss of
> time browsing -mentors which is flooded with X-Window / GUI software
> that I care less about.

One thing we could do right now, is to usertag RFS bugs. While that's
not as nice and easy as receiving only the tags you would subscribe to,
but checking the "system::server" usertagged RFS bugs once in a while
should be an improvement, I think.

> Having all this would mean that the following change occurs:
> 1/ Debexpo would allow sponsoree to edit tags on their software
> 2/ Debexpo would allow sponsors to register for tags they are interested
> in, and send RFS depending on matches with 1/

Since we're using the BTS fro RFS, we can already (user)tag things. What
still needs to be improved is the way this information is delivered to
sponsors.

In the short term, it wouldn't be too hard to write a little script that
polls the usertags of, say, debian-mentors@l.d.o, and mails the news to
the appropriate people. If this script lived on a .d.o machine, sponsors
could add their name and the tags they're interested in to a simple
file, and done.

It's certainly not the most modern solution, but until there's better,
this could do.

Then we only need to teach reportbug (or sponsorees) to usertag their
RFS submissions well.

If there's enough interest, I can throw this together in a couple of
hours, I think. (Damn, I already have half of it written in my head, as
I was writing this mail.. damn subconcious!)