Re: What happens when an architecture independent package won't build on all architectures?

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Paul Elliott wrote:

> The fact that a package is  architecture independent is no guarantee that the
> package will build under all architectures. The package can "build depend" on
> packages that don't exist for some architectures.
>
> But if the package once built under any particular architecture, should then
> run under all architectures.
>
>  My question is what happens in this case? Will the build system take the
> build results from one of the "good" architectures, ( that is architectures
> where the package does build successfully,) and give the results of that build
> to the bad architectures?

The Debian buildds do not (yet) build any Architecture: all packages,
they are currently all built on developer machines.

IIRC there is a plan to build all packages on the buildds but that
isn't yet in place.

Part of that is adding a Build-Architecture field for packages that
are Architecture: all but can only build on certain architectures.

I guess the procedures for an Architecture: all package will be
approximately the same as for Architecture: any packages where an
architecture has multiple buildds. Give the package to one of the
available buildds to try and if it fails, give it to another one.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise