Re: RFS: trash-cli

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Stefano Karapetsas
<stefano@karapetsas.com> wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "trash-cli".
>
> I talked with Steve Stalcup (the current maintainer, but he's not a DD),
> with Andrew Starr-Bochicchio (who packaged trash-cli previously on mentors)
> and with Andrea Francia (the upstream author) and I packaged the latest
> upstream git snapshot of trash-cli (it's stable).

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for working on this. trash-cli is a very useful package, and
it's always depressing when an upstream maintainer has to discourage
Debian users from using the packaged version due to it being
old/containing bugs already fixed upstream. I hope you have better
luck finding a sponsor than I did when trying to update this.

A few comments though...

As the names of the binaries have changed, I think a debian/NEWS entry
is called for in the case people are using it in scripts. Here is some
suggested language:

   The names of the binaries provided by this package have
   been changed upstream. Both the old command and its
   corresponding new command are provided below for your
   convenience. Please update any usage in scripts accordingly.

       Old command:       New command:
      - trash                ->  trash-put
      - empty-trash      ->  trash-empty
      - list-trash           ->  trash-list
      - restore-trash     ->  trash-restore

It would be nice to point the watch file somewhere useful if we're
already updating the package. Assuming future releases will happen on
github:

version=3
http://githubredir.debian.net/github/andreafrancia/trash-cli (.*).tar.gz

Bug #593104 was fixed upstream and could be closed in the changelog.

You also fix Bug #510043, and should close it. Though, you should use
X-Python-Version rather than XS-Python-Version.

Thanks!

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Maintainer