dh_gencontrol and space separated list

Hi all,

  I am trying to automated the list of archs from d/rules files. I am using :

include /usr/share/mono/mono-archs.make
%:
	dh $@ --with cli
mono_archs=$(DEB_MONO_ARCHS)
override_dh_gencontrol:
	dh_gencontrol -- -Vmono:Archs:"$(mono_archs)"

It seems like this is a bad idea, as I get:

$ dpkg-buildpackage
dpkg-buildpackage: source package gdcm
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 2.2.0-2
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Mathieu Malaterre
<mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
 dpkg-source --before-build gdcm-2.2.0
dpkg-source: error: `${mono:Archs}' is not a legal architecture string
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source --before-build gdcm-2.2.0 gave
error exit status 255

Has anyone else tried to simplify the mono<->architecture dependency ?

Thanks,
--
Mathieu