Re: RFS: lebiniou (new upstream version 3.14)

Hi all,

On 20/01/2012 09:35, Kilian Krause wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 07:54 +0100, Nicolas Bourdaud wrote:
>>
>> I have not done a full review, but I think your debian/control file miss
>> some Build-Depends like libpulse-dev or zlibg1-dev...
>
> I wouldn't see why they should lack - it builds perfectly fine without.

It compiles because they are indirect dependencies of the other packages
listed in Build-Depends (for example libpulse-dev is pulled with
libsdl1.2-dev).

	But what would happen if tomorrow, those are updated and drop one these
dev dependencies: for example, imagine SDL package stops shipping the
pulseaudio backend. In this case the libsdl1.2-dev will likely drop
libpulse-dev (because it is needed it only for compiling with the static
library). That day, your package can not be rebuilded in its state.

	Normally, as far I know, Build-Depends should list all packages that
are necessary for compilation, and zlib1g-dev, libpulse-dev (among
others) are needed for compilation of the package. Also having
Build-Depends informs that something has to be done in case of an API
change of the library dependence (without ABI break).

	Cheers,

Nicolas