Packaging proprietary software

This is my first post in this list and I couldn't find an older post in the archives which answered my questions.

I need to package a commercial application for automatic installation in a cluster, as well as not messing up the system. I want it to integrate well with the Debian environment.

The package is just a directory with lots of binaries and it likes to install itself in /opt. Besides that, it needs to set some environment variables (similar to JAVA_HOME and friends).

What is the best way to approach this? Do I change the PATH environment variable to point to, lets say, /opt/bin? Are there problems with "creating" new environment variables in a package installation?

If someone could point me to some material about this, I would appreciate that. I've read some documentation so far but I've still got a lot to read.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention,

Ivan